Lord's Prayer For The Military Wife - Author Unknown

Lord's Prayer for the Military Wife - Author Unknown

Lord, Grant me the greatness of heart to see, the difference in duty and his love for me. Give me the understanding to know, that when duty calls he must go. Give m a task to do each day, to fill the time when he is away, and Lord, when duty is in the field, please protect him and be his shield.

January 21, 2011

Not a New Years Resolution but some goals for the year

I know this is late and I apologize, they say it takes a month to form a new habit...guess it will take me longer.

I decided not to make any New Years resolutions this year, not that I usually do; although I did decide to set some goals to accomplish this year. By setting goals over stating resolutions I have given myself some specific things to accomplish. I thought I would share the general goals with you as you will be hearing about them over the course of this blog.  I'll try to keep this short:
  1. Return to a healthier lifestyle.
  2. Simplify, by removing, reusing or re purposing.
  3. Increase my sewing skills.
  4. Increase my knitting skills.
1)  I have already implemented some successful changes. Since the beginning of the month I have lost 10lbs, simply by changing my eating habits and dietary intake.  I have accomplished this with 2 simple changes, an increase in fruits & veggies and eating 4-5 small meals of about 400 calories a day. I still need to increase my exercise, but because I have already seen results, I am motivated to keep at it.

2) This is a goal that will be the most difficult, in that one of the biggest things I need to go through and thin out is my library. I am a bibliophile, it is difficult for me to let go of books plain and simple. But the fact that there is not one room in my house that does not have a book...ok, maybe the laundry room, its going to be hard. All the jokes you hear about women and shoes, that's me & books. If I am interested in something, I find a book or two,(or three....) on it. The girls and I are going to have a toy sorting day, I promised any toys they decide to part with at a garage sale this spring they can keep the money. And finally clothes, not that we have a A LOT, but we have a lot! I mean, really, there is no reason we should have as many articles of clothing as we do. I know the girls grow quickly out of theirs, but seriously, there are clothes they rarely wear. I still have clothes that "I will fit into again"...*Smirk* I don't see that happening, and if it does, well, I'll have an excuse to hit the stores. Of course, GI Joe's gear going with him will help tremendously.

3) I sew, I enjoy sewing, I'm not bad at it. However, I could be better, and I could use my skills for good. I watch all these DIY reuse or re purpose shows, or read blogs. I could do that. Not to mention, my body type, no matter my size, has never made it easy to find good fitting clothes. I could remedy that. Again, waiting on GI Joe, as my machine is hidden behind his gear. However, once he deploys, I'll be setting it up permanently. I have a list of specific skills I want to improve or learn and will post about my learning curve as I go. I also plan on improving my hand sewing skills.

4) Finally, I want to increase my skills and knowledge of knitting. I took lessons for the first time last summer and am ADDICTED! I love it. There is something so calming about it, but I have a lot to learn and many skills to improve. Specifically I want to FINALLY learn to knit socks, the original reason I wanted to learn to knit to begin with. I have fallen in love with lace knitting and look forward to not only improve those skills, but knitting shawls, stoles and other lace goodies.

I have alterior motive to these goals. Last deployment I "survived," but this deployment I want to thrive. I have already warned friends I will not be ashamed to impose on our friendship, but I want to use this time to focus some energy on myself. (When its not being directed at the girls of course.) Having GI Joe gone will allow a little extra time and the perfect motivation to keep me busy. So hang on for what I am assuming will be a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment