I decided not to make any New Years resolutions this year, not that I usually do; although I did decide to set some goals to accomplish this year. By setting goals over stating resolutions I have given myself some specific things to accomplish. I thought I would share the general goals with you as you will be hearing about them over the course of this blog. I'll try to keep this short:
- Return to a healthier lifestyle.
- Simplify, by removing, reusing or re purposing.
- Increase my sewing skills.
- Increase my knitting skills.
2) This is a goal that will be the most difficult, in that one of the biggest things I need to go through and thin out is my library. I am a bibliophile, it is difficult for me to let go of books plain and simple. But the fact that there is not one room in my house that does not have a book...ok, maybe the laundry room, its going to be hard. All the jokes you hear about women and shoes, that's me & books. If I am interested in something, I find a book or two,(or three....) on it. The girls and I are going to have a toy sorting day, I promised any toys they decide to part with at a garage sale this spring they can keep the money. And finally clothes, not that we have a A LOT, but we have a lot! I mean, really, there is no reason we should have as many articles of clothing as we do. I know the girls grow quickly out of theirs, but seriously, there are clothes they rarely wear. I still have clothes that "I will fit into again"...*Smirk* I don't see that happening, and if it does, well, I'll have an excuse to hit the stores. Of course, GI Joe's gear going with him will help tremendously.
3) I sew, I enjoy sewing, I'm not bad at it. However, I could be better, and I could use my skills for good. I watch all these DIY reuse or re purpose shows, or read blogs. I could do that. Not to mention, my body type, no matter my size, has never made it easy to find good fitting clothes. I could remedy that. Again, waiting on GI Joe, as my machine is hidden behind his gear. However, once he deploys, I'll be setting it up permanently. I have a list of specific skills I want to improve or learn and will post about my learning curve as I go. I also plan on improving my hand sewing skills.
4) Finally, I want to increase my skills and knowledge of knitting. I took lessons for the first time last summer and am ADDICTED! I love it. There is something so calming about it, but I have a lot to learn and many skills to improve. Specifically I want to FINALLY learn to knit socks, the original reason I wanted to learn to knit to begin with. I have fallen in love with lace knitting and look forward to not only improve those skills, but knitting shawls, stoles and other lace goodies.
I have alterior motive to these goals. Last deployment I "survived," but this deployment I want to thrive. I have already warned friends I will not be ashamed to impose on our friendship, but I want to use this time to focus some energy on myself. (When its not being directed at the girls of course.) Having GI Joe gone will allow a little extra time and the perfect motivation to keep me busy. So hang on for what I am assuming will be a wild ride.